Wednesday 19 May 2010

Andrews Cafe Review

I've heard this place is good so I went to go in at about 1 but it was too busy so I came back an hour later and it was still quite busy but it didn't take me long to get a seat.

I sit down and see a sign for an outdoor terrace area so ask to be seated outside but she points to one table on its own which I don't think is really much of a terrace but its lovely weather so I go sit there admiring the view of the back of marks and spencers.

Theres not much variety on the menu which can be a good or bad sign. I ask what quiches they have and the waitress replies 'cheese and onion or salmon and watercress' so I go for the salmon and a dandelion and burdock.
The food arrives about 3 minutes later! It is a big piece of quiche with some salad, coleslaw and some crisps. It looks nice on the plate, very colourful with the crisps giving a European twist to it.

The dandelion and burdock is fentimans which I love and its very tasty.
I try some of the quiche and its disappointing. Soggy bland pastry with metallic tasting salmon which can either be because its tinned or on the turn. Either way its not very good. I can't taste the watercress and the eggs are very bland too.
Maybe I'm spoilt because I work somewhere where I get to eat the most delicious quiches made with fresh pastry and organic eggs, who knows but at least I've got something to compare it to.

The salad isn't dressed and the coleslaw has chunky bits of carrots to suggest its homemade but doesn't taste it, crisps are nice as are the two cherry tomatoes. But overall its a sad plate of food.

I decide to have a cake. There's the usual selection victoria sponge, chocolate, carrot (with weird orange carrot shapes on top made of icing), cherry scones etc I go for the classic victoria sponge and the waitress brings it out with a strawberry on the side which is tasty and the cake is light and tasty with a creamy filling.
I finish up and pay the bill which is £13.70. Expensive and over hyped I won't be visiting again as theres much better places with better food for less money.


No comments: