Monday 15 August 2011

Café # 9

Today is the first day of two and a half weeks off work. As I'm not going away during this time I decided to visit the only place in Sheffield I can think of where you can go inside and feel like you're a million miles away - Café # 9.

I do prefer to stay in the more suburban areas when I'm in the mood for reading and procrastinating whilst enjoying my food. I'm not sure why.. maybe its because a lot of city centre places are usually full of people nipping out of work for a quick coffee or lunch and as such, you generally tend to feel rather rushed and not able to fully relax, never-mind read a book!

I ordered my food then proceeded to walk slowly around the place, taking in the surroundings. There are so many fascinating things to look at, from the vast range of foreign currency stuck to the walls to various paintings, including a man with a turban and one of the café itself, being visited by Darth Vader..

According to a faded newspaper clipping, this was a favorite hang out for the late John Peel. I'm not surprised as the music playing is kind of a mix between Kate Bush and Joanna Newsom but even more bizzare.



My brunch arrives - a simple beans on toast washed down with a cup of tea.
Wait! Don't go just yet, I can assure you I'm didn't write this post to review their beans on toast.
I'm merely revisiting an old favourite hangout that happens to sell food. The menu isn't huge: a few cakes, toasted sandwiches and bagels. They also do amazing milkshakes - a must for a hot summers day if you're in the area.

I could take endless photos of the decor but half the fun is coming down and discovering it for yourself.
Café # 9 is full of eclectic charm and I'm sure I'll visit many more times in the future!


Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

pinklittlebean said...

I love cafe # 9! I used to live up the road from it... Thinking I better pay it a visit some time again soon! :)

Clare x

Neil said...

Hi,

Can you tell us where it is?

Thanks!

Neil.

Komal said...

Ah yes, sorry Neil.
Its in nether edge..same road as zeds and the old sweet shop :)
Hope that helps!

girls who like to gorge said...

This place sounds so cool! I agree on suburban areas being better than the city for laid-back lunches. ahh xxx

Carolyn Waudby said...

visited a couple of months ago and had some wonderful soup - I think it was butternut squash. Really friendly cafe.

barry said...

I agree, this is an interesting place. only moved to nether edge a few months ago and have only been here once but it's definitely unique in sheffield. I felt like I was somewhere in the backwoods of the USA, up in the Appalachian mountains maybe. (not that I've ever been!)

nice blog btw!

barry