Thursday, 24 January 2013

Fancie's new cafe - review


The day was cold, the air crisp and the ground covered in thick snow or slush.
I'd agreed to take my fifteen year old sister who I don't see often enough to her orthodontist appointment, and it just so happened that we were in the vicinity of Fancies fourth and newest establishment on Ecclesall road. It would have been rude not to stop by for lunch, so with snow sodden boots and an empty stomach we entered the cafe. 
It's not Fancies trademark pink which is both surprising and relieving. Instead there are exposed brick walls, dark wood and a counter heaving under the weight of their glorious treats on display.
The blackboard displays their specials and there are menu's with more choices. 
It's packed at 1pm on a Monday with families, it is a snow day after all. 
We were seated at a tiny bar table and I was worried about how on earth I was going to fit my food on. I precariously balanced my belongings on the bar and my camera dropped onto the floor. Luckily another table complete with comfy sofa was vacated and we quickly relocated there. 
The sofa was only slightly swallowing us whole. 
I enjoyed my green tea, accompanied by timer to guide the brewing time. The teapot is quirky and the leaves are whole and fresh.


I ordered a 4 (!!) egg omelette with feta and roasted vegetables, my sister ordered chilli cheese jacket potato. We waited patiently, watching the families and trendy young folk we had as our dining companions. 
Along came our food, we each took pictures. It's alright, no one bats an eyelid these days when it comes to food photography. Thanks hipsters and instagram. 
Anyway, the omelette was clearly huge, the biggest I've ever eaten undoubtedly. A few new potatoes and leaves kept it company until it was re-homed in my belly. 
I enjoyed my omelette, my sister loved her meal. This  place would be perfect should you have a hangover as I'm sure many of the visitors are already aware

 

We finished by sharing my first ever whoopie pie, the flavour being praline. I couldn't even finish my massive omelette but you cannot go to Fancie and not order cake. It's like going to Starbucks and not ordering coffee. I'm not much of a sugar addict anymore so two bites of this treat that was reminiscent of a Thornton's alpini was enough to satisfy.

Nice place and atmosphere, my favourite out of the four definitely.

Food - 8
Value - 9
Service - 10

1 comment:

Emma @ Bake Sew Grow said...

I can't wait to visit the new Fancie cafe! This post has just made me even more excited to go :)