Saturday, 6 October 2012

Steel City Cakes







I've cycled past here every day and glanced inside to see how their progress was coming along. When I returned from Toronto, the place was finished!
My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to investigate further. The inside is spacious and they serve hot drinks as well as a wide variety of interesting and enticing cakes such as dandelion and burdock and caramelised pear. They also open til 8pm every day! Awesome news for those of us whose idea of a great night out doesn't revolve around booze.

After chatting with the owner a bit I found that he is hoping to open even later, like 11 and he's also interested in having an outdoors area too. He's so friendly and chatty, he even told me that they had an experimental full English breakfast cupcake complete with bacon and sausages! Next the only reasonable option would be of course, to try some cake (all in the name of research for the blog of course, the things I do for you guys..)
I went for a rather decadent looking caramelised pear layer cake. I got a massive wedge with a nice cup of earl grey to wash it down.
It was very delicious, moist, sweet with a slightly tangy frosting. I didn't need dinner after that generous portion either and at £1.90 a slice you'd be pushed to find better value elsewhere. Also they have an offer at the moment where you can buy any hot drink and cake for £3!

The following day I returned with my camera and my mum. this time I chose dandelion and burdock cupcake and she had the lemon layer cake. My cupcake did indeed taste like dandelion and burdock. A stolen taster of my mum's was sweet and creamy with a subtle tang.
The thing I love about this place is that although they make so many cakes, they still have that home made flavour and you can taste the love. The thing I don't love is that it's two minutes from my house!

I'm glad Sheffield is catching onto the late night opening scene. I've seen a few adverts of late opening milkshake and lounge bars, plus the rude shipyard opens late Thursdays as does tamper coffee occasionally.

Does anyone else know of any other late opening places that don't involve alcohol? Let me know!
Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds good, where is it?

Allie said...

It's on Abbeydale Road near the corner of Broadfield road :-) bonza cakes and coffee, the chocolate and kirsch cherry cupcake is my number one...

Oliver Slay said...

Pure on Raw.. Shalesmoor .. open till 7 friday and 8 pm Sat.. from 11am .. worth dropping in but book if coming a distance... might be booked up as there aren't a lot of tables...

http://www.pureonraw.co.uk/