Thursday, 8 March 2012

Pear and Masala Chai Cupcakes with Rhubarb and Creme Fraiche Frosting Recipe

Tuesday was the first Appetite event at my workplace and due to my boss being ill I had to take on his lamb pasty demonstration as well as my own cake one and also make sure the 50 or so people behaved themselves! (They did!). I was pretty nervous and had no idea what I was going to say as the other demonstrators just kept talking, but once I got up there any nerves disappeared and I was fine!

Kirsty from Teabox was one of the producers and kindly gave me a bag of her delicious Masala Chai.
I  decided to experiment with my first ever tea cake and the result was so popular at work we sold 14 in just over an hour!

Here is the recipe!

Ingredients
  • 250g butter
  • 250g sugar
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 250g flour (I used doves gluten free but you can use plain)
  • 3 level tsps baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons loose leaf masala chai
  • 1 small tub creme fraiche
  • 2 tbsp icing sugar (adjust to your taste)
  • 3 tbsp cooked rhubarb

Method
  1. Melt the butter and chai together and leave to infuse for at least ten minutes, drain off the tea and cool
  2. Mix the butter and sugar together until pale
  3. Add the eggs, gradually
  4. Add your flour and baking powder and beat til fluffy
  5. Bake at 180 degrees for around 25 minutes
  6. Whip up the remaining three ingredients and pipe or spoon on top of the cakes.
  7. Enjoy!


1 comment:

sweet-komal said...

Just realised this isn't my first tea cake as i've been making matcha cake..totally forgot about that! Haha.
Also,thankyou for visiting! I've been a bit quiet recently as I currently have no internet in my house but will keep updating as often as I can.