Kirsty from Teabox was one of the producers and kindly gave me a bag of her delicious Masala Chai.
I decided to experiment with my first ever tea cake and the result was so popular at work we sold 14 in just over an hour!
Here is the recipe!
- 250g butter
- 250g sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 250g flour (I used doves gluten free but you can use plain)
- 3 level tsps baking powder
- 3 tablespoons loose leaf masala chai
- 1 small tub creme fraiche
- 2 tbsp icing sugar (adjust to your taste)
- 3 tbsp cooked rhubarb
- Melt the butter and chai together and leave to infuse for at least ten minutes, drain off the tea and cool
- Mix the butter and sugar together until pale
- Add the eggs, gradually
- Add your flour and baking powder and beat til fluffy
- Bake at 180 degrees for around 25 minutes
- Whip up the remaining three ingredients and pipe or spoon on top of the cakes.