Thursday, 20 January 2011

African Style Groundnut Curry Recipe


So I haven't done a recipe post in a while and I cooked a nice meal for me and my friend and thought hey I should totally write this one up!

Its a very versatile and unusual curry and you can pretty much chuck whatever vegetables, beans, meat or whatever you want in there!
I used sweet potato, halloumi and butter beans.

I have to admit to a product that I use which is very lazy but amazing...
Frozen ginger and garlic!
It comes in little cubes and you can buy it from most asian / general foreign grocery shops, where you can find it in the frozen food section. I love them!

PS. Sorry for the awful photo it really did taste better than it looked!

Ingredients:

  • 1 sweet potato
  • 1/2 pack halloumi
  • 1/2 tin butter beans
  • 1 red onion
  • garlic
  • ginger
  • 1-2 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 tin coconut milk


Method:

  1. Slice the onion and add to a pan to soften in a little oil.
  2. Chop the ginger and garlic fine and add to the pan.
  3. Peel and thinly cube your sweet potato and add this to the pan.
  4. Fry these for five minutes - add a splash of water if it starts to stick.
  5. Add your coconut milk, beans and curry powder.
  6. Cube your halloumi and fry in a hot pan til golden then add that.
  7. Cook until the potato is tender, stir through the peanut butter and serve with plain rice!
This is also lovely with a squeeze of lime, coriander or a dollop of chilli sauce or all three combined!
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jasmine1485 said...

Interesting, I've never tried something like this - I love the rich yellow colour :)

Gary said...

thanks for your comments on my blog, just reading through yours, some nice recipes il have to have a go at. are you on Twitter?

sweet-komal said...

yep http://twitter.com/sweetkomal