Monday, 16 August 2010

Nonnas




My french cousin Sara came over to mine and requested that I take her somewhere where she can eat ice cream so after thinking about it for a while I decided to take her to Nonna's on ecclesall road. I've been before a couple of years ago and it was really really good and as its Italian it has to have good ice cream.

As usual there's people sitting outside, its not that warm but then people do like sitting outside restaurants and bars on ecclesall road. We explain that we're only after dessert and the friendly waiter shows us to a bar seat. All the staff speak Italian amongst each other which is pretty cool, feels like for a moment you are not in Sheffield anymore.

The dessert menu looks good, I choose a blueberry, banana and white chocolate cake with mandarin mascarpone. Sara asks what different types of ice cream they have and the waiter lists about six different flavours to which she replies "I'll take them all"...with chocolate sauce and sprinkles! The waiter laughs and says he'll see what he can do. He returns with two spectacular looking desserts!
Mine is good. The cake itself tastes mainly of banana but I get a hint of white chocolate.
The mandarin mascarpone is delicious, delicately flavoured and creamy. The almondy wafer thing is OK a bit bland.






I try some of Sara's ice cream which is very soft and tasty. I ask her what she thinks and she gives me a thumbs up. I like this place. Its sophisticated with great service and most importantly, great food. I'll definitely come again.

No comments: